73 May Be The New Cut Score

A candidate posted last week on CSEprep.com website that she did not pass the Exam and received a score if 71 and she needed 73.

scoreboard2L

The cut score has been 70 for about a year so this was brand new news to me. I posted on the ARE forum and Coach responded that CAB just released the Fall Newsletter with statistics for the CSE from January 1, 2012 through June 30, 2012, showing a 63% pass rate. In this video, I share my thoughts on what these numbers might mean to those candidates getting ready to take the Exam.

***ADDENDUM TO VIDEO – After posting this video, a representative from the California Architects Board contacted me to clarify the historical pass rates do not affect the way the current exam is administered. CAB wants to be sure candidates are not misinformed.***

Get the Mobile Apps!

mobile apps blog page

I’ve created 2 Mobile Apps to help you succeed. Check out the Ultimate Flash! App to practice 500 flashcards on the go and the FREE CSEprep App to have all the podcasts and video tips at your fingers, literally. Available for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. Search the App Store for cseprep and Download it TODAY!

Please Subscribe

Receive automatic updates of CSE Video Tips on YouTube when you Subscribe!

Erica October 12, 2012, 10:04 pm

This is scary….I’m about to take the test in one week and although I was hoping to get well above a 70 anyway, the higher minimum cut score makes me even more nervous!

Couldn’t the higher percentage of people passing just mean that more people are using the Whole Enchilada….and it’s working?!?! 😉

Andrea October 13, 2012, 9:23 pm

Hi Erica,
I’m, also, taking it in a week and am just going to heed David’s advise to stay positive and focused! Good luck! I know you’ll do well!

David, thanks for the update and all your encouragement!

Erica October 14, 2012, 9:50 am

Good reminder to be positive, Andrea – thank you! I’ve done a lot of studying – I’m scoring really well on the practice exams (except for Project Scenario #2 for some reason) – and I have one more week to review my weak areas. Come test day – I will know what I know and there’s no reason to stress about it now.

Good luck to you as well – I certainly hope to see a post from both of us saying ‘I passed!’

Erica

Muhammad Alnakash October 13, 2012, 1:03 pm

Thanx David for the news! ….(not great, yet important 🙂
but I agree with Erica, W.E. is raising the bar!

John McDonald October 13, 2012, 1:10 pm

I took the test last in January of ’07….it was the oral format….I only scored 39 out of 300 points or around 10% that time…..I liken the process of using David Doucette’s info similar to a textbook for a school class in college….if you don’t have the textbook to the class, and you don’t have any other way of studying, you simply have no chance of passing….it’s that simple….David’s info needs to be gone over time and time and time again, I think….it’s one of the first points he makes….you need to remember and you do that by repetition, repetition, repetition….I have been going over the info and I KNOW I don’t know it by heart yet…..I bought the info in July of 2012 and I tentatively plan on taking the exam on Spring Break, around March….I have just finished knowledge statement #15…..it isn’t impossible at all I don’t think to pass this test…..just know the info inside and out…..actually seeing the answers in front of you will help, but the questions on the exam can definitely be tricky….I haven’t taken the computerized version yet, so can’t compare the two directly….but just from my knowledge of the exam….I plan on knowing it by heart….the info in the study manual, that is….good luck everyone 🙂

David October 13, 2012, 3:32 pm

great comments guys! and yes john, stay at it my friend, be sure to enjoy the ride 🙂

erica, you might be on to something about the Ultimate Whole Enchilada raising the bar. i launched it in mid january of this year and coincidentally around when CAB started the stats for the 63%, so maybe i am putting a small dent in the world 😉

good luck guys!

Barbara Ingram October 13, 2012, 6:12 pm

Hello David,

i am already signed up for your newsletter. How do I gain access to your Free Ultimate
12 Week Study Plan materials?

Also, Thank you for the information regarding the raise in the cut score by CAB.

Best regards,
Barbara

David October 16, 2012, 9:13 am

hi barbara, send me an email to david@cseprep.com and i will send you the link for the study plan,