What is the difference between the B102 & B201?

Understanding a contract is essential for any business transaction. Knowing what you and the other party are agreeing to perform is paramount prior to beginning any business relationship.

Man Signing Contract

Knowledge of the AIA documents is essential for preparing for the California Supplemental Exam. I discuss the difference between the B102 and the B201, two of the AIA contracts that are on the California Architects Board’s Reference List of Materials.

Get the Mobile Apps!

mobile apps blog page

I’ve created 2 Mobile Apps to help you succeed. Check out the Ultimate Flash! App to practice 500 flashcards on the go and the FREE CSEprep App to have all the podcasts and video tips at your fingers, literally. Available for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. Search the App Store for cseprep and Download it TODAY!

Please Subscribe

Receive automatic updates of CSE Video Tips on YouTube when you Subscribe!

Cynthia Hope April 12, 2012, 5:06 pm

Appreciate all your effort.
I took the test once…cold… but now have the material.

David April 13, 2012, 5:15 pm

thanks cynthia! good luck with your studies 🙂

Heather Singerman September 1, 2012, 12:03 pm

Through all your study materials you’ve drilled the diference between the B102 and the B201 into my head…however, I still keep getting tripped up on what material is in the B102 versus the A201. I would love a conversation about that, to get it straight in my head finally.

David September 4, 2012, 11:54 am

hi heather,

the B201 is the description of services (the scope of basic services, i.e. 5 phases) between the owner and the architect and is part of the contract between owner and architect. the A201 is the general conditions which sets out the duties, rights and responsibilities of the owner, contractor, and architect during construction. they are part of the owner contractor agreement.

hope that helps,

Brian December 13, 2012, 8:52 am

David, in your reply to heather, I think you mistakenly described the B102 as description of services – it should be B201, as your video explains. I’m sure it was a typo.

David December 17, 2012, 12:17 pm

thanks brian, just trying to keep you on your toes 😉 i made the change in the comment, thanks for letting me know!

Michael Violette July 2, 2014, 1:44 pm

Going through the study guide for the first time; about 80% through. Great resource; however, FYI ran across several dead internet links – Architects Board links on p 148, 150 come to mind.

David July 3, 2014, 9:53 am

Hi Michael,

CAB has been updating a few web pages lately. Yes I need to go through the study guide and update the links.

Thanks!

David

Haryadi October 5, 2015, 6:41 am

Where can I learn more about design build?

Thanks

David October 29, 2015, 9:53 am

Hi Haryadi, I re-phrased your question. Design Build is a project delivery method. I cover it in my study guide and you can also search the internet for project delivery methods.